The Original Shantae Dances into the Nintendo Switch eShop
Groundbreaking GBC classic joins other Shantae titles on Switch
to complete the series
Valencia, Calif. – April 22, 2021 – Independent game development studio WayForward is proud to announce that the original Shantae – the game that introduced the world to the eponymous hair-whipping, belly-dancing Half-Genie – is now available in the Nintendo Switch eShop. Rated E10+ by the ESRB and priced at $9.99, the Switch version preserves the graphics, sound, and gameplay of the game’s initial release, while adding modern features such as save states and multiple display options. The game’s release-date trailer can be seen at http://bit.ly/OriginalShantaeTrailer.
Originally launched in 2002, Shantae is the acclaimed action-adventure-platformer that is often considered one of the most impressive Game Boy Color games ever produced. In this pixel-perfect adaptation, Shantae hair-whips, dances, and transforms as she seeks out four elemental stones throughout Sequin Land to put a stop to the nefarious lady pirate, Risky Boots. During her quest, she explores treacherous labyrinths, gains amazing new powers, conquers mini-games, and encounters friends such as Rottytops, Sky, and Bolo. Alongside the standard GBC mode, this edition also includes the extra Game Boy Advance functionality of the vintage cartridge.
With this release, all five Shantae titles (Shantae, Shantae: Risky’s Revenge – Director’s Cut, Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse, Shantae: Half-Genie Hero, and Shantae and the Seven Sirens) are available on Switch, marking the first time the entire 3-million-plus-selling series has been offered on a single game system. A series trailer commemorating the occasion can be viewed at http://bit.ly/ShantaeSeriesTrailer.
In addition to the Switch release, the original Shantae is also currently available for Nintendo 3DS as part of the eShop’s Virtual Console lineup, and was recently offered as a reproduction cartridge through Limited Run Games. For more details about the original Shantae, please visit wayforward.com/shantae-gbc/, and for additional information about the Shantae series and other WayForward titles, please visit www.wayforward.com.
- Shantae’s acclaimed original 8-bit adventure – now on Switch!
- Use dance magic to transform into a monkey, an elephant, a spider, and more!
- Travel across Sequin Land, from forests and deserts to swamps and frigid peaks!
- Explore challenging labyrinths where devious bosses await!
- Buy a variety of items and upgrades to gain new abilities!
- Environments change from day to night!
- Discover secret passages! Find hidden Warp Squids and fireflies!
- Select between standard GBC mode or GBA-enhanced mode, featuring a bonus Tinkerbat transformation!
- Updated with save states, multiple display options, control improvements, and a mini art gallery!
Release Date: April 22, 2021
Platform: Nintendo Switch